Swagelok Principal Software Development Engineer in solon, Ohio
TitlePrincipal Software Development Engineer
Innovative self-starter expected to be both an individual contributor and technical lead driving to make new IIoT products successful. Works closely with peers in the requirement gathering, design, development, testing, deployment, and technical support of
IIoT products. Works independently, and/or with senior associates, designing and developing new software products targeting IIoT applications. Leads and participates in a large development team, comprised of internal and/or third-party resources to design
highly complex software systems. Acts as a technical expert, addressing problems of systems integration, compatibility, and multiple platforms. Responsible for project completion. Performs feasibility analysis on new technologies and applications and proposes
solutions to management team.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Key architect, and coordinator of external development resources, responsible for the development of web browser and industrial Ethernet interfaces running on embedded IIoT edge devices.
• Key member of the development team responsible for delivery of the edge platform including APIs, data architecture, security, event management, and relevant middleware.
• Active role in the proof of concept development to establish technical and business feasibility.
• Lead role in the design, development, and deployment of Cloud applications that ingest and analyze edge platform data.
RequirementsEducation and/or Work Experience Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering from an accredited university or 4-year college. Master’s degree or equivalent skills and experience preferred.
• 5+ years of experience.
• Can clearly and credibly articulate knowledge of IIoT concepts.
• Linux: CentOS, RedHat, Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora. Good knowledge of Linux build systems (kconfig, cmake, gnu make) and Linux packaging systems (dpkg, rpm).
• IoT protocols/services: MQTT, AMQP, RESTful API.
• Database: SQL, ODBC.
• Virtualization: VMware
• Cloud: Working knowledge and demonstrated experience in Cloud technologies and modern distributed architectures including experience working with Azure and/or AWS.
• Tools: Node.js, Eclipse, Visual Studio, WireShark, PuTTY, Term Term, etc.
• Experience developing new APIs and integrating with existing APIs.
• Good understanding of network architecture and secure communication protocols.
• Understands and applies knowledge of organization strategy.
• Is the technical expert in chosen field(s) and recognized as a resource to the organization.
• Advanced knowledge of current technologies.
• Demonstrates the ability to complete major and complex projects.
• Manages multiple projects simultaneously.
• Advanced problem solving and significant decision making abilities.
• Strong oral and written communication.
• Strong computer and typical office software skills
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical
• Experience with Modbus/TCP, Ethernet/IP, or other industrial Ethernet protocols.
• Practical experience with building software on TCP/UDP networking APIs on Linux.
• Experience in TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, as well as in LAN/WAN network administration and engineering.
• Experience in setting up Docker or Kubernetes to deploy applications in Ubuntu Linux environment.
• Hardware troubleshooting skills using DMMs, oscilloscopes, and other bench equipment.
• Organizational Awareness
• Emotional Self-Control
• Results Focus
• Business Acumen
• Teamwork and Collaboration
• Change Catalyst
Working Conditions and/or Physical Requirements:
• Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
• Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards.
• May be required to pass pre-employment and annual Vision Acuity tests
Swagelok is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Applicants are selected without regard to race, ethnicity, creed, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin or ancestry, disability, genetic information,
veteran/military status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristic under federal, state or local law. Swagelok will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the Americans
with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008.
Swagelok will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the
compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
This job summary is intended to be brief and does not list all the duties for this position. Nothing in this job description should be construed as an express or implied contract of employment. Swagelok is an at-will employer, which means that either party
is free to terminate the employment relationship at any time, without any advanced notice, for any reason or no reason.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCPhere.